Gokayama and Crafts Experience (Day Trip to Toyama Countryside!)
*Charge per one Adult
Tour code : 0038G
- Packages & Fees
- Terms & Policies
Gokayama is a district in Toyama Prefecture that includes the villages of Suganuma and Ainokura. This district is home to gasssho-zukuri houses. These houses have a unique style of architecture with very steep thatched rooves. They can only be found in Gokayama and Shirakawago and were designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995. The name gassho-zukuri refers to the shape of the rooves. Gassho means hands clasped together in prayer. A total of 32 of these gassho-zukuri houses remain in Gokayama. With Authentrip, you can view these unique houses which were built between 300 and 400 years ago. You can even enter the roof space and take a look at the roof structure up close! The contrast between the gassho-zukuri houses and the rice paddies, fields, and surrounding mountains make a beautiful picture and it will feel like you have traveled back in time.
Gokayama Village of Japanese paper
Records exist showing that during the Edo Period 400 years ago, origami paper made on the flatlands of Gokayama was presented to Toshinaga Maeda, second head of the Kaga Domain, who was lord of this district at the time. From that day on, Gokayama Washi developed under the protection of the Kaga Domain and the area became production center of quality washi paper. Gokayama Washi is designated as a national traditional craft, and is used in the repair of Japan's important cultural properties (Kyoto Imperial Palace, Katsura Imperial Villa, etc.). With Authentrip, you can experience making 3 types of postcard from your own hand-made washi paper. Try making an original, one-of-a-kind postcard from quality washi paper.
Zuiryuji is a temple built to perform a memorial service for Toshinaga Maeda, second head of the Kaga Domain and lord of this district, by his successor and third head of the domain, Toshitsune Maeda. The temple took 20 years to build and was completed in 1663. The Sanmon (main gate), Hodo (main worship hall), and Butsuden (Budda Hall) were declared as National Treasures in 1997. The Buddha Hall is built of Japanese zelkova wood and the extreme complexity of the ceiling structure is overwhelming. The roof is made of lead tiles, very rare in Japan, and the total weight of the lead is 47 tons, meaning that the weight of three trucks is sitting on top of the roof. The grounds are laid with lush lawn, and if you take a step onto them, you are wrapped in the quiet atmosphere of a Zen temple.
The images used are for illustration purposes only.
Available period Throughout the year
- 18,900 JPY
- Tour date
- Everyday except Wednesday
- Minimum number of participants
- 1 Persons
- Departure point
- JR Kanazawa Station East Entrance
* Price for one Adult
(prices as seen on our booking sites. If you book through other services, the price may vary)
*Included in the tour price
・Delicious specialty lunch made using the freshest local ingredients
・Admission fee to Zuiryu-ji Temple
・Tour guide for World Heritage Village Gokayama
・Kokiriko-bush Folk Music Experience
・Washi Paper Making Workshop Experience
- Reservation deadline
- 10 days before the tour starts
- Cancelation charge
- Company name
* Depending on weather and road conditions changes to the tour without prior notice can be possible.
- Assembly Point
- JR Kanazawa Station East Entrance
- JR Kanazawa Station East Entrance
・From Tokyo -approx 2.5hrs by Shinkansen
・From Toyama -approx 20mins by Shinkansen
・From Kyoto -approx 2hrs by Train
・From Osaka -approx 3hrs by Train
- Assembling time
- Ending place
- JR Kanazawa Station
- Time required
- 8 hrs
|09:00||Meet at JR Kanazwa Station||A taxi driver holding a white Authentrip flag will be waiting for you at the East Exit of JR Kanazawa Station.|
|10:00||Zuiryu-ji Temple||Feel the spirit of this Soto Zen Temple with centuries of history. Those with a keen eye might notice something different about this temple. Its roof is made of lead! That must be heavy... Take in the quiet beauty of the buildings connected by corridors and the smooth lawns with their stone lanterns.|
|10:50||Takaoka Daibutsu||Along with the statues in Nara and Kamakura, this is one of the Three Great Buddhas of Japan. As you are passing by rows of houses, this sixteen meter tall statue will appear out of nowhere! It is affectionately known by the locals as Daibuttsu-tsuan. You can even go underneath the statue’s pedestal. Let’s take a look!|
|12:30||Gokayama||A chance to see the World Heritage Site of Gokayama! Enjoy splendid local fare in one of the iconic gasssho-zukuri thatched houses. You will feel like you have travelled back in time. After lunch, you will be joined by our tour guide who will explain Gokyama in detail. Gokayama is far removed from crowds of tourists and you will appreciate how this traditional building style melds seamlessly with the surrounding natural beauty.|
|14:10||Kokiriko-bushi Folk Music Experience||The beautiful thatched rooves of Gokayama have endured for more than 350 years – and so have some unique traditions that can only be found in this area. Among them is the folk dance called Kokiriko-bushi. You can only see the dance at festival times but you can learn about the song and see a real life performance of the dance! How lucky!|
|15:00||Traditional Washi Paper Making Experience||This is an old technique called Tesuki Washi. It’s so simple that even children can try it! It’s an out of the ordinary hands on craft with a rich history, so let’s give it a try!|
|17:00||Tour Ends at JR Kanazawa Station||
※Please make sure to read our [terms & policies].
- Cancellation and Modifications
- If you would like to modify details, such as your traveling dates or the number of participants, please cancel your current reservation and make a new one. Cancellations can be made online through “My Page”. Please be aware that a cancellation fee may apply depending on the time of year.
[1)Within 60 days of receipt of payment. 2)Up to 8 days before departure]
Cancellation fee：None (free of charge)
[3 days before departure]
Cancellation fee：30% of the total tour fee
[the day before departure 1 day before departure]
Cancellation fee：40% of the total tour fee
[On the departure day On the day]
Cancellation fee：50% of the total tour fee
[After departure or in case of no-show]
Cancellation fee：100% of the total tour fee
- About taxi drivers and sightseeing・Concerning your luggage
- ・For your convenience, we have arranged for taxis and mini-vans to allow you the comfort of traveling without being preoccupied about handling your luggage. Taxis will be available regardless of the number of participants however, due to space limitations, we ask you to inform us should you be traveling with more than 3 pieces per person (additional costs may incur). To respect your privacy, we work exclusively with experienced drivers who can only speak Japanese. For necessary information, we have prepared a separate document with useful phrases in English and other foreign languages.
・During the tour, large items such as suitcases and duffle bags will be kept in the trunk of the taxis. When getting on and off, please feel free to request access to your belongings from the driver at any time. However, we ask that you keep any valuable and fragile items as well as perishable food items with you at all times. Please acknowledge that we are not liable for any damages to your luggage in the event of an accident during transportation. We do not take responsibility for the damage, loss or theft of items due to negligence of the transportation company or its employees.
- For customers joining tours during the winter period
- Over the winter season (December to March), it is not uncommon to see snow in Japan. Please understand that weather-related changes in the road conditions will also impact the tour schedule. If you need to catch a train or a flight to another city at the end of the tour, we advise you to give yourself extra time to work around any potential delays.
- Itinerary Changes
- ・Customers may make changes to their tour itineraries, such as length of stay, etc. if they so wish.
・Please note that any extensions to the length of stay will incur additional charges.
・Additional charges are generally paid on the day, in cash, to the taxi driver.
・Tourist spots may sometimes need to be changed, or the length of travel time required may be different due to traffic conditions, etc. Please note that additional charges may be applicable if the arrival time is later than the end time specified in the itinerary.
- Tour operation: regarding the minimum number of participants
- ・Tours may be canceled if the minimum number of travelers is not reached. In that case, an e-mail notifying customers to this effect will be sent up to 12 days before the start of the tour. Full refunds shall be issued for any canceled tours.
A village from another time
Our time in Gokayama was perfect. I wanted to see something truly traditional and rural but didn’t really have a lot of time so this was ideal. The countryside surrounding the village is gorgeous. I was even allowed into the roof space to see the thatch up close. Our taxi driver was super friendly too. I recommend this little tour. When we got back home, we looked through our photos of the village together. Great memories.